The author, smiling winningly Scott Raymond home


20 Jun 2001

The gas man came by yesterday to re-light our appliances because service had been interrupted. When he saw the furnace, he became alarmed, almost panicked. “Oh, my,” he said, “oh my. That’s just dangerous.” I asked him what he saw. “It’s a wonder you boys aren’t sick yet. This’ll give you carbon monoxide poisoning.” He went on to explain the problem, using the phrase “silent death” a disconcerting number of times.

Anyway, whew, I’m getting tired. Time for a nap.